Fall is closer than I’d like to admit. Every day I notice a slight decrease in temperature. I think next week’s forecast even has days in the 70’s! This makes me pretty sad. We are huge summer lovers in this household, but that doesn’t mean we hate the Fall. In fact, there are actually a lot of fun outdoor fall activities that our family enjoys.
The Fall is actually a pretty exciting time. I always looked forward to the new school year, and the start of the holiday season. Now that I am an adult and am done with school, I still look forward to the holidays, but my favorite thing about the Fall probably would be curling up on the couch, sipping some hot chocolate, and indulging on a slice of pumpkin bread.
Mmmm.. pumpkin bread. That sounds so good right now. I really could go on and on about everything I like to make with pumpkin, but then I would be getting off topic.
Fun Outdoor Fall Activities.
If you live where it snows then you know how precious the Fall is. You learn to cherish those days that stay above freezing because pretty soon the last thing you’ll want to do is leave the comfort of your warm home to trek through the snow, scrape ice off your car, and wait what feels like an eternity for it to heat up so you can make it to work on time. I mean seriously, winter adds an extra half hour minimum to your commute; it’s ridiculous!
September is almost here, which gives us around 3 months (or less) until we enter hibernation mode. Our family tries to get as many fun outdoor Fall activities in before Winter hits and the outdoors become a less convenient option.
Our Favorite Fall Activities.
- Nature walks.
- Pretty soon this won’t be an option, so pack some snacks and get walking!
- Bonus: Aim for a walk with a lot of trees so that you can see the leaves as they change color.
- Play giant football.
- Have you seen those giant Kong-Air Football sets? They are too fun! Because everything is giant, it kind of evens the playing field. My pro-football/quarterback husband no longer has as much of an advantage! This is great for Thanksgiving, the traditional football holiday.
- They also have Kong-Air Soccer and Kong-Air Basketball too.
- Pumpkin Patch.
- This is a little cliche, but we’ve always loved heading to a pumpkin patch to pick out our pumpkins.
- Bonus: Pumpkin seeds are actually a great source of Omega 3s, so don’t toss them once you’re done carving your pumpkin. Toast them up & enjoy some healthy fats 😉 [source]
- Calling all men: Pumpkin seeds also have a high zinc content which means they are great for prostate health! One more reason to enjoy these babies 😉
- Host a (final) bonfire & make s’mores!
- Maybe s’mores are the healthiest, but like we’ve said before: while we do have a sugar-free house, we’re not anti-sugar. We just like to make an experience out of it. What greater experience than the last bonfire of the season?!
- Another fun treat at a bonfire are jiffy pop popcorn & foil dinners! If you do this in October, tell some spooky stories while you eat 😉
- Go through a corn maze.
- Last year, Scott & I we’re making fun of how simple the corn maze was & then we somehow got lost!! We learned a valuable lesson that day. Don’t mock the corn maze.
- Take a foggy morning walk.
- Foggy mornings tend to sneak up on us. I completely forget that fog even exists until I wake up one morning and there it is! Take advantage and enjoy it. Be sure to bring a flashlight on your walk to help cut through some of the fog & give others a chance to see you to help avoid accidents.
- Run a Thanksgiving 5k.
- We are really getting into races this year. Thanksgiving usually has some great ones and so does Christmas. Get the whole family involved! Remember, just because it’s a race doesn’t mean you have to run. Your friend who complains that they are “out of shape” has no excuse!
- Go through a haunted house.
- When I first started brainstorming fun outdoor Fall activities, this was one that first popped into my head.
I know that when the temperature starts to drop we get excited for hot cocoa, cuddle seshes and movie nights, but there will be plenty of time for that come Winter. Trust me! There are so many fun outdoor Fall activities to enjoy. Take advantage of that weather and get outside!
Aimee @ MamaCentric
Tuesday 6th of September 2016
It still feels quite summery in Texas as we have a high of 90 today, but I am so excited to get out and actively experience fall! We visit a corn maze every year and my kids just love it. I, however, always feel as though we will be trapped forever. (Those things are tricky!) Great ideas!!
Lexi @That Fit Fam
Thursday 8th of September 2016
Hahah those corn mazes are tricky! they always catch me off guard!
Sunday 4th of September 2016
I am so sad that summer is coming to an end. I am really not a fan of winter. But I do like fall! I love spending time outdoors in the cool and crisp air. Thanks for sharing your list of things to do!
Saturday 3rd of September 2016
These are some great ideas! I know our family could definitely be more active, and I am going to put some of these on the to-do list. Thanks for sharing!